Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Such love cannot exist without the Spirit of God



My brothers and sisters, question your heart, and if you cannot find
love of neighbor there set your mind at ease. Such love cannot exist
without the Spirit of God. Paul the Apostle bears witness to this: "The
love of God has been poured out in our hearts through the Holy Spirit
who has been given to us."
...
St. Augustine
-- Sermon on 1 John 6, 10


This was posted on facebook today. When I read this, I thought about this truth. We are taught to try and see others through God's eyes. Even though on an intellectual level I've understood this for years, I haven't applied it.


Our prayer should be: Lord, help me to see others through your Heart...The Heart of a love like no other. Remind me to turn to you for the illumination of the Holy Spirit. For if the love in my heart is smoldering, the charity of your Heart is exploding, and your Holiness is the fire that lights up the world. Thank you for looking beyond our puny hearts and toward what you desire for us. We love you and ask you to help us love you more. In loving you Lord, we find the ease to love others because of you! Amen