Sunday, April 26, 2009

Because of One Cat

Seeing some tweets on twitter about cats, it reminded me of how we became friends of the furry little creatures ourselves.

My teenage son came home with a tiny, black, male kitten. The mother died, and the kitten was being raised by human hand. My son knew I couldn't see something so cute and not be touched.
My husband agreed with me though, no cats! We lost, and shortly after the little one came to live with us.

The usual story of when a child gets a pet happened at our house too. We began to care for my son's cat at some point. My son was fully aware when he planned to move out, the cat wouldn't be going with him. He didn't fight me on it, because he knew we were hooked.

Maybe I should have known something was up when the little kitten couldn't stand one evening. I stood him up, and he fell to the floor like a rag doll. I called my husband, and he met me at the emergency vet. A couple of hundred dollars later he seemed fine. Every so often he seemed to have a minor seizure but nothing serious.

This little black cat ran wild, zipping from here to there every evening. My husband would pick him up and place him on his chest. Both would sleep for hours, and of course the bonding between the two began.

We moved to a new house about five years after we welcomed this little one to our home. He was a grown cat, affectionate and one of the nicest joys of our life. We noticed he started missing clumps of hair around his neck. Once more we began frequent trips to the vet. Long story short, after thinking he might somehow beat the cancer, he died shortly after the first Christmas in our new home. The year before we lost our collie to old age, and then our five year old lab-mix to cancer too. Needless to say, we did not want more animals to grieve, but the house seemed so empty. Both sons were grown and gone. Living in the country led to not only one more cat, but four! And that is where we stand now. We also have three dogs of our own, and two other dogs that roost at our home most of the time. I'm guessing it may be the treats we feed them!

Anyway I do think God is laughing sometimes, at the statement we made many times - WE DON'T LIKE CATS!!! His response...a little black kitten that changed our hearts.

No comments: