Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Do You Think Technology Could Facilitate a Return to Modesty?

Technology seemingly moves with leaps and bounds, often times racing beyond people's common sense. Information at our fingertips can be a really good thing. Obviously there is the evil side, but I wonder if maybe one day there will be a backlash bringing along with it some much needed modesty?

Why could this happen? First of all, our youth are unfortunately the guinea pigs of what new technology can bring. Of course it's not confined to youth, but youth is the ground where "do now, think later" breeds. In the world of texting, camera phones, email and social networks, is anyone really safe. I mean do users' brains think pass-I'm sending this to a friend?

From employers to any interested party Googling someone is just a computer away. And now people are finding out that stripping, sexting and "forever captured" bad behavior is just a click away. Their actions can affect their hope for a job or a serious relationship. Maybe the thought of knowing at any moment a stranger can whip out a camera phone and forever change one's life, will translate into, I need to think about what I'm doing, where I'm doing it, and what I'm saying about it.

We can certainly hope!

No comments: